Death Penalty Mobilization Fund State Strategies
The application period for the 2013 DPMF State Strategies funding cycle is now open.
The Death Penalty Mobilization Fund (DPMF) is a collaborative of Tides Foundation and The Advocacy Fund that supports strategic collaborations of local, regional or national nonprofits [501(c)(3)’s and 501(c)(4)’s] working to abolish the death penalty at the state and/or federal levels.
DPMF was initiated in 2000 by a Tides donor and is sustained through the support of individual and institutional partners. To date, the DPMF has awarded over $5.5 million in grants.
State Strategies Grants:
The upcoming State Strategies segment of the DPMF, in coordination with Funders for Alternatives to the Death Penalty (FADP), will provide grants to state-based activist organizations working on death penalty abolition or reform efforts in the US. Grants can be used for organizational and/or staff capacity, campaign development or implementation, public education, and direct and grassroots lobbying. Priority will be given to states where a grant will make a significant contribution towards securing a concrete victory or strategic outcome.
State Strategies 2013 Cycle:
The 2013 cycle has an open Letter of Inquiry (LOI) process. Any organization doing state-based work to achieve the goals of the DPMF is eligible to submit an LOI. LOIs are due by 5pm PDT on Friday, May 24, 2013. Please note that this process has been updated since the last round, so applicants are requested to join an informational conference call on April 30th. RSVP information for the conference call will be included in the invitation email, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected organizations will be asked to submit a full proposal. LOIs are due by 5pm PDT on Friday, May 24, 2013. Proposals will be requested by late June and invited organizations will have a month to complete their submission. More details will be included with the invitation email. Funding decisions will be announced in early October.
State Strategies and FADP LOI Process:
DPMF and FADP are seeking to streamline the funding process for all state-based organizations. Because of this, ALL state-based campaigns that seek funding from FADP should submit a DPMF State Strategies LOI and NOT an additional FADP LOI. Our hope is that this will simplify the process for the campaigns, and maximize flexibility and coordination for participating foundations. The DPMF State Strategies LOIs and proposals will be used to determine funding from both Tides and other FADP funding sources. Therefore, the amount requested, as well as submitted budgets, should reflect the full amount you are requesting from Tides DPMF and FADP combined. Please request the level of funding appropriate to your organization’s current needs. Actual grant amounts will be determined in consideration of a full spectrum of needs and opportunities within the field as well as funds available.
Applying for Funding from Tides Foundation and The Advocacy Fund::
Tides Foundation (a 501(c)(3) public charity) makes grants to 501(c)(3) charitable organizations for charitable and educational project activities only. The Advocacy Fund (a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization) makes grants to 501(c)(4) charitable organizations for lobbying activities. Your organization is welcome to apply for funding from both Tides Foundation and The Advocacy Fund depending on your funding needs. If your organization is applying for funding from both Tides Foundation and The Advocacy Fund for one project, you must submit separate cover sheets and project budgets, although all other application materials can be the same for each proposed project, including the narrative describing both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) activities..
Please submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) addressing the following questions in no more than three (3) pages:
- What policy goal is your campaign or organization trying to achieve and by when?
- For what work do you seek funding?
- Are you seeking to maintain your capacity at this time, or to expand it? If expansion, please explain.
- What is the external political landscape in your state? Include both political openings that make your goal more winnable and political roadblocks that could impede your effort.
- Briefly describe the ways that the work proposed will engage the participation and voices of communities of color, and address racial justice concerns.
ApPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE:
Please send one email with all attachments to email@example.com no later than 5pm PDT on Friday, May 24, 2013:
- A complete LOI submission will include:
- a. a completed cover sheet template;(please use the Tides Foundation and/or The Advocacy Fund cover sheet as needed)
- b. LOI narrative (see questions above);
- c. a budget template (please use the Tides Foundation and/or The Advocacy Fund cover sheet as needed)
- d. a grants committed chart template.
- Faxed materials will not be accepted.
- No phone calls please on the status of your submissions.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your LOI. If you do not receive a confirmation by May 30, 2013 please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Those organizations being asked to submit a full proposal will be notified in late June and provided with proposal guidelines at that time.Notification regarding proposals decisions will be provided in September.
RESTRICTIONS ON GRANTMAKING
- DPMF does not support the production of videos or films.
- DPMF does not support the writing and publication of books and other publications but may consider strategic distribution of publications.
- DPMF does not support capital defense/legal representation (unless activities include a systemic change component.)
- DPMF does not support dissertations, postgraduate work or research.
- DPMF will not provide support to individuals. In particular, journalistic and academic projects are not supported.
Please contact Tides at email@example.com with any questions regarding the LOI, proposal and submission process. For more substantive programmatic questions, please contact Pat Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Tides DPMF question” in the subject line.
THE ADVOCACY FUND
P.O. Box 29903
San Francisco, CA 94129-0903